According to the American Heart Association, over 92 million American adults are living with some type of cardiovascular disease. Heart disease it is a top ailment due to the poor diets of Americans, stress, and heredity. The team at Cardiology Associates of Morristown, NJ, is committed to helping patients avoid serious complications related to heart disease. Learn when you should see a cardiologist and the treatments this important doctor can offer you.
What Does a Cardiologist Do?
In short, a cardiologist is a doctor that specializes in matters of the heart. They help patients manage heart-related issues including high blood pressure and high cholesterol. They are trained specifically to identify, treat and prevent conditions that can affect the heart. Cardiologists commonly see patients who have had heart attacks, murmurs or stroke, or who are at risk for these issues. Tests are available to help at-risk patients get the treatments they need before there’s a more serious health problem.
When Should You See a Heart Doctor?
Make an appointment with a Morristown cardiologist if any of the following situations applies to you:
- You’re over the age of 40
- You’re struggling with obesity
- You have a family history of heart disease
- You have high blood pressure or high cholesterol
- You’ve been diagnosed with diabetes
- You have had a stroke or heart attack in the past
- You’re experiencing strange symptoms, including dizziness, weakness, nausea or pains in the chest
- Your primary physician recommends that you see a cardiologist
Common Tests and Treatments
Here are some of the most common tests that a cardiologist performs:
- Blood pressure tests
- Echocardiograms (EKG)
- Stress tests (including nuclear stress testing)
- Head Up Tilt Table (HUTT) tests
- Cardiac catheterization
If you’re diagnosed with cardiovascular disease, your cardiologist will likely recommend heart, cholesterol and blood pressure medicines to manage your condition. Stenting may also be used if blockages are identified. In more advanced cases of heart disease, surgery may be necessary.
Consult with a Cardiologist
A cardiologist is an important doctor to see to ensure your ongoing heart health. Call (973) 889-9001 today to schedule an initial visit to Cardiology Associates of Morristown in Morristown, NJ.